05 May 2007

The Album

Last month (yes, this post is a little late,) we went to see Marcel Khalife in concert......


We met him in the lobby after the performance....


I brought along my copy of "Ghina'iyat Ahmad Al-Arabi", an album that he recorded maybe 30 years ago......


It comes with a great book that features essays about Marcel's music and Mahmoud Darwish's poetry, photos, drawings, lyrics.


Marcel signed the book, and my aim is to get Darwish to sign it as well. Who can tell me how I can accomplish this?


Open the book......


Pictures of Marcel during a mega-concert in the 70's or 80's....


Umaima Khalil, his co-vocalist on the album, as a teenager when this album was recorded.....


More pictures of populous concerts at the height of the leftist-nationalist-liberationist epoch.....




Poet Mahmoud Darwish.....


Lyrics to "Ahmad Al-Arabi" (which is titled "Ahmad Al-Zaatar" as a poem written by Darwish,) and drawing by Kamal Boulata....


Drawings by others.........


Lyrics in French, and more drawings........

_

9 comments:

Coco said...

I miss Marcel's concerts, Inshalla in Lebanon I will have the chance to be in his concerts again.

There's something in this man's eyes that says a lot. In the secong pic of this post, just looking at his eyes I can hear his music. It's amazing!

Thanks IBJ :)

Ibn Bint Jbeil said...

Thank you coco, for dropping by. So can YOU get me Mahmoud Darwish's signature on my book??

Coco said...

Hi IBJ, I always drop by but I don't always leave a trace ;)
How can I get you Mahmoud Darwish's signature?

Ibn Bint Jbeil said...

I don't know. I live in the Western Hemisphere. Don't you live there in the East somewhere?

Coco said...

I'm in Canada, on my way back home to Lebanon :)

Ibn Bint Jbeil said...

maz7a. (i should've remembered you're in canada.) it was just a thought, that if anyone living between 3aman and ramallah and paris, and who also runs into mahmoud darwish, bla bla bla... it's an unrealistic wish.

Mar said...

:)

EXzombie said...

is he in Jordan, if he is I'll see what I can do.....!!!

alzaher said...

omayma looks much younger inthese photos
still as loveley as ever