10 September 2006

Officially born in Bint Jbeil

Yes, I was only officially born in Bint Jbeil. I was physically born in Beirut. All seven of my parents' children were born in Beirut, and all seven were registered as having been born in Bint Jbeil. I can only explain this phenomenon by assuming that my father, even though he had left the farming tradition of his family and the village behind, and went to the big city as a young man to get an education and become a school teacher, couldn't get himself to admit that his children were actually born outside the earthy bosom of the village. So be it. That was just the beginning of my life, a life wraught with puzzling tribulations relating to double identities.

2 comments:

davinca said...

thank you for sharing so much with the "world" ... me, I am a teacher too, in Austria, Vienna, and I am getting more and more involved into a thing called conflict "management" or "diversity" management ... first of all there must be a deep understanding of the human condition at all aspects to deal with the possible solutions of a conflict ...

today in the austrian broadcasting they told about the dramatical increase of violence at school - especially here in Austria too - which was seen always as a insula of the blessed ...

to my opinion the increasing violence which is seen worldwide is the answer to the ignorance of egoism all around the materially saturated societies and the loss of deeper values ...

all the best from Vienna/Austria

Hassan said...

actually my father once told me that it made more sense back then to register newly borne children in their hometowns rather than Beirut because it made the paper work easier when requesting ID Cards and so on. Not sure.