08 September 2006

From Ziad to Saad

_

So I found this letter (posted on another blog) from Ziad Rahbani (musicologist-musician, playwright, actor, social critic, bourgeois dropout, son of living muscial legend Fairuz) to Saad Hariri (spoiled billionaire brat, apologist for despotic monarchist rulers, pimp to despotic monarchist rulers, heir to mega-filthy billionaire neo-aristocrats, saudist-Lebanese dandy and party animal.)

The discourse back and forth that follows the letter (between bloggers and commentators) is also quite refreshing, inspired by Ziad's sharp, slicing wit.

The commentators attempt to follow Ziad's liberated spirit, sometimes straying from their usual, tired, bubble-gum-chewing political banter (of which I am just as guilty,) but they tend to never reach the level of liberation that Ziad possesses.

CLICK ON ZIAD FOR THE LETTER

CLICK ON SAAD FOR SOMETHING ELSE




NOTE ADDED OCTOBER 26: CONTROVERSY HAS LOOMED ABOUT WHETHER ZIAD ACTUALLY WROTE THIS LETTER OR WHETHER IT WAS WRITTEN ANONYMOUSLY IN HIS STYLE. THE ORIGINAL POST ON "LEBANONHEARTBLOGS" THAT I ORIGINALLY LINKED TO FOR THE TEXT OF THE LETTER HAS SINCE BEEN DELETED AND IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE, SO NEITHER ARE THE COMMENTS THAT FOLLOWED IT. I HAVE TAKEN THE LIBERTY THEN TO POST A COPY OF THE TEXT OF THE LETTER HERE ON MY BLOG. CLICKING ON ZIAD'S PICTURE ABOVE WILL TAKE YOU TO MY POSTED COPY, NO LONGER TO THE BLOG WHERE I ORIGINALLY FOUND THE LETTER.

_

5 comments:

Mar said...

Funny! Love the pictures!Adore Ziad, bfishelle khel'e.

Thank you for the nice poem on my blog. We didn't get to meet before I left Dearborn but I'd love to when I visit, probably around Christmas.
Where do you teach again? wondering if one of my siblings know you...
Thanks again my friend, stay in touch!

jooj said...

hahahaha. Nice Saad link.

Still not sure if that letter was truly Ziad's; Ziad would normally send it to Assafir. But it surely does sound like him.

jij said...

I must say it does not sound like him. He is more sophisticated than this. And as jooj said, it is susicious that his letter circulated as an email. Why didn't he send it to Assafir or Al-akhbar?

Ibn Bint Jbeil said...

you guys have a very good point ... i wonder where the truth is ...

it's like everything else in the world of politics and tofnees, the only truth i know is the fact that i am skeptical about everything i hear. like even if cnn told me that george bush had spagetti for dinner, i would be more skeptical than accepting of the news.

Anonymous said...

This sounds really intriguing, but, unfortunately, I don't read Arabic. darn.